03/20/2014 – The tenth ranked Saints defeated the Lakers 5-4 in an intercity battle between the WHAC and GLIAC foes. The Saints improved to 12-1 on the season, while Grand Valley fell to 10-4 overall. The Saints are a perfect 3-0 this versus the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
The Lakers seized an early advantage as they won two of three doubles matches. The tide turned for the better for Aquinas as the match switched to singles. The Saints won four of six matches (all in straight sets) to secure the 5-4 victory. The Saints will now host St. Francis (Ill.) and Cardinal Stritch this weekend. The Friday match versus the Fighting Saints will be at Riverview, while the Saturday matinee with Cardinal Stritch will be played at East Hills.
#10 Aquinas College 5, Grand Valley State 4
Mar 19, 2014 at Grand Rapids, Mich. (Riverview)
1. Aaron Hendrick (AQMT) def. Francis Bertrand 7-6, 6-0
2. Nik Artaev (AQMT) def. Andrew Darrell 6-2, 6-0
3. Kristoff Saari (AQMT) def. Billy Heckman 6-1, 6-0
4. Jack Heiniger def. Fisher Sutherland (AQMT) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Quinn Sylow def. Frankie Fischer (AQMT) 2-6, 7-6, 10-7
6. Gunnar Perry (AQMT) def. Michael Kaye 6-2, 6-5
1. Aaron Hendrick/Nik Artaev (AQMT) def. Bertrand/Bole 8-2
2. Heiniger/Sylow def. Kristoff Saari/Gunnar Perry (AQMT) 8-2
3. Heuerman/Darrell def. Frankie Fischer/Fisher Sutherland (AQMT) 9-7