05/18/2011 – The men's tennis team fell to St. Thomas University (Fla.) 5-4 in first round action at the NAIA Tennis Championships in Mobile, Alabama.
The two teams, who share similar college namesakes, played a very competitive match with neither team willing to give an inch. With a berth in the second round on the line, the Bobcats came out and won two of the three doubles matches.
The Saints responded by wins by Hendrick, Wolf and Telfer during the singles matches, but it was not enough as St. Thomas prevailed to win the match 5-4.
Aquinas concludes a fantastic season that saw the Saints achieve a 25-4 record. St. Thomas advances to play the #1 seed Fresno Pacific today.
Saint Thomas (Fla.) 5, Aquinas 4
May 17, 2011 at Mobile, Ala, (Copeland-Cox)
1. Aaron Hendrick (AQMT) def. Adrian Escarate (STHM) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Gonzalo Gayoso (STHM) def. Nik Artaev (AQMT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. Andrew Rifkin (STHM) def. Kyle Masteller (AQMT) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (14-12)
4. Travis Wolf (AQMT) def. Jeremy Bache (STHM) 3-6, 6-0, 6-1
5. John Telfer (AQMT) def. Federico Acevedo (STHM) 6-3, 6-0
6. Nicolas Etienne (STHM) def. Mike Sendor (AQMT) 6-2, 7-5
1. Aaron Hendrick/Nik Artaev (AQMT) def. Adrian Escarate/Nicolas Etienne (STHM) 8-4
2. Gonzalo Gayoso/Jeremy Bache (STHM) def. Kyle Masteller/Brendan Petz (AQMT) 8-6
3. Andrew Rifkin/Federico Acevedo (STHM) def. John Telfer/Travis Wolf (AQMT) 8-5