03/13/2013 – The women's tennis team defeated Calvin College in a non-conference match held at Riverview Athletic Club. The victory improved the Saints record to 8-6 on the season, while the Knights fell to 2-3.
Despite not having the services of #1 singles player, Lauren Ramey, the Saints were able to dig out a victory over their guests from across town. After taking control by winning two of three doubles matches the Saints entered the singles portion looking for the victory.
The first five singles were completed with Calvin earning three wins. The match, now tied at 4-4, would come down to the victor in #6 singles. Jennelle Miller outlasted Calvin's Elise Doezema (7-6, 7-6) in a three hour marathon to secure the win for the Saints.
The Saints will now be off on a tour of the "Hoosier State" as they travel to play Indiana Tech (3-4), Ball State (7-7) and Taylor University (5-8).
Aquinas College 5, Calvin College 4
Mar 13, 2013 at Grand Rapids, Michigan (Riverview)
1. Megan Visser def. Danlela Fonseca (AQWT) 6-2, 7-5
2. Ariana Kabodian (AQWT) def. Jordan Ipema 6-1, 6-1
3. Rilie DuShane (AQWT) def. Ali Roode 6-4, 6-2
4. Bethany Zoerhof def. Marjeanne Bothma (AQWT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Samantha Reitsma def. Gina Kukulski (AQWT) 6-4, 6-3
6. Jennelle Miller (AQWT) def. Elise Doezema 7-6, 7-6
1. Fonseca/DuShane (AQWT) def. Zoerhof/Visser 8-6
2. Doezema/Ipema (CALVINW) def. Kukulski/Bothma (AQWT) 8-4
3. Kabodian/Miller (AQWT) def. Reitsma/Roode (CALVINW) 8-6