The Heritage & Traditions of Aquinas College

Aquinas College had its origins in the Novitiate Normal School begun by the Dominican Sisters of Grand Rapids in 1886 in Traverse City. The Novitiate Normal School was transferred to Grand Rapids in 1911, and in 1922 it evolved into Sacred Heart (later Marywood) College.


In 1931, the College was renamed Catholic Junior College. In 1940 the two-year program at CJC was expanded into a four-year bachelor's degree program and the name of the College was changed to Aquinas College.

Aquinas College was originally located in downtown Grand Rapids. In 1945, the college bought the former Lowe Estate on East Fulton Street where it has remained until this day. >More

125th Anniversary

In August 2011, Aquinas College will kick off a year's worth of festivities celebrating its 125 years of Catholic Dominican post-secondary education in Michigan.


The celebration of the College's quasquicentennial (125th anniversary) will be highlighted by four signature events that will shine a spotlight on the values that have guided the College throughout its history: prayer, study, service, and community. >More