Resources for Staff and Faculty
In accordance with institutional and federal guidelines outlining the provision of reasonable accommodations for college students with disabilities to ensure equal access to education, it is our responsibility as Aquinas Faculty and Staff to create and promote an accessible environment for learning and student engagement whether on campus or online.
Digital Accessibility can only be achieved when the information and applications being shared can be equitably accessed by everyone. Many of the web applications we use in online learning for communication and collaboration enable accessibility, but this access doesn’t occur automatically- action must be taken to ensure access for all. The following resources will support your efforts in the creation and use of accessible content and features that can improve learning for everyone. Any additional questions regarding the accessibility of digital content can be answered by contacting Accessibility Services.
Digital Accessibility at Aquinas College begins with YOU.
- Accessibility Checklist for Online Courses provided by UC Boulder
- Accessibility Essentials for Online Learning
Creating Accessible Content for Online Learning
How to Create Accessible PDFs
- Converting Word Documents to PDFs
- Creating Accessible PDFs Accessible U
- Making PDFs Accessible with Word: At a Glance
How to Create Accessible Word Documents
- Making Accessible Word Documents National Clearinghouse of Rehabilitation Training Materials
- Using Microsoft Office Accessibility Checker
How to Create Accessible Google Documents
Accessibility Features for Video Chatting Applications
- Google Hangouts Meet Accessibility Features
- Zoom Accessibility Features
- Skype Accessibility Features
Providing Testing Accommodations for Online Learning
Extended test time accommodations should be provided by the course Instructor for all tests taken via CourseConnect. For questions regarding the provision of testing accommodations for online classes, please contact our office.
- MOODLE Instructions for adding extended time for individual students in CourseConnect
- CourseConnect Intermediate Video Tutorial from AQ Academic Affairs Office (17 minutes in for quiz help)
The Extra time calculator is an easy to use tool that helps calculate the start and end times for a student who receives extended test time accommodations.