Human Resources at Aquinas College

Student Employment: Frequently Asked Questions

Should I become a student employee?
You will want to consider your class load and the amount of study time necessary to support your classes before seeking employment opportunities on or off campus during the academic year. This balance is very important in determining the level of success you will achieve while attending Aquinas College .

Who is eligible?
You must be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours during the fall or spring semester and 3 credit hours in a summer term to be eligible for on-campus student employment. No student may average over 20 hours per week of on-campus employment.

Where do I look for information regarding on-campus employment?
Most positions on campus are 10-15 hours per week, with some requiring a 20-hour per week commitment. Current opportunities can be viewed online. Each posting will provide the student with instructions on how to contact the individual department and apply for the specific opening. You may also access and download the Student Employment Handbook.

What kinds of opportunities are available?
On campus openings occur throughout the year, though a large concentration comes open just prior to the beginning of each academic term. There are a wide variety of on-campus jobs available to incoming and returning Aquinas students. Some of the positions filled by student employees during the school year include but are not limited to:

  • Academic & Learning Services: Supplemental Instruction Student Leaders
  • Admissions: Telemarketers, Office Assistants, Student Ambassadors, and Interns
  • Aquinas Bookstore : Students must apply directly with the bookstore management
  • Athletics: Physical Education and Athletic Assistants for team and intramural sports
  • Campus Dining: Caterers, Corner Café workers, Kitchen Assistants Catering Supervisor, Grill Cook, Pizza Supervisor, Student Cook Helpers, Moose Care Baristas,
  • Campus Life: Staff Assistants
  • Campus Ministry: Staff Assistants
  • Campus Safety: Officers
  • College Newspaper - The Saint: reporters, editors, photographers
  • Conferencing & Event Services: Set-Up Assistance and Event Monitors
  • Copy Center & Mail Room: Mail Distribution, Copy Assistants, Operator Assistants, and Mailroom Clerks
  • Grace Hauenstein Library: Assistants
  • Information Technology Services: Lab Assistants, Programmers, Help Desk Staff, and Computer Technician Assistants
  • International Programs : Office Assistants
  • Kretschmer Recital Hall/Art & Music Center: Building Managers, Stage Manager, Office Assistants, Score Librarian, Slide Librarian
  • Physical Plant: Housekeepers, Groundskeepers, Maintenance, Snow Crew, Outside Drivers
  • Performing Arts Center: A variety of production-related opportunities
  • Registrar's Office: Staff Assistant
  • Residence Life: Residence Hall Desk Receptionists, Resident Assistants
  • Science: Student Lab Assistants
  • Student Support Services: Database Assistant
  • Women's Studies Center: Staff Assistants

How do I onboard as a student worker?
Once a student has accepted a job offer at Aquinas, the student's supervisor will complete a Student Employment Information Form, which will be sent electronically to Human Resources. HR will respond by sending the student worker an onboarding link. The student will use the link to complete various required forms, including tax withholding forms.

VERY IMPORTANT: Students may not work until they have met with HR and provided the documentation required to complete Section Two of federal I-9 Form. In accordance with federal law, the documents presented must be ORIGINAL documents (NOT copies or pictures), and they must be presented on the student worker's first day of employment.

To avoid delay in starting work, student workers should review the list of acceptable documents and ensure they have original documents before agreeing to a start date. To expedite this process, please call the Human Resources Office at (616) 632-2918 to make an appointment.

Are international students eligible?
International students who have been granted F-1 status by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) are eligible for on-campus employment as long as they maintain a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester and do not work over 20 hours per week. International students will need to apply for a U.S. Social Security Card after they have secured an on-campus position. Students should email for more informationi about how to obtain a social security card.

How do I get paid?
Student payroll is biweekly. Ask your manager for a payroll schedule.

Paychecks are available for pickup in the Business Office beginning Friday (pay day) from 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. and the following Monday through Tuesday from 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Any paychecks not picked up during that time will be mailed.

Direct deposit is strongly recommended. To sign up for direc tdeposit or to change your address, please make your changes by logging in to Dominion. Changes must be submitted before 5 p.m. the Tuesday before the pay date. Note: It will take one pay cycle for direct deposit to take effect.

Where do I look for information regarding off-campus employment?
For on- and off-campus employment and internships, please contact the Advantage Center at (616) 632-2126 or