Heritage & Traditions at Aquinas College

 

Aquinas College had its origins in the Novitiate Normal School begun by the Dominican Sisters of Grand Rapids in 1886 in Traverse City. The Novitiate Normal School was transferred to Grand Rapids in 1911, and in 1922 it evolved into Sacred Heart (later Marywood) College.
 
In 1931, the College was renamed Catholic Junior College. In 1940 the two-year program at CJC was expanded into a four-year bachelor's degree program and the name of the College was changed to Aquinas College.
Aquinas College was originally located in downtown Grand Rapids. In 1945, the college bought the former Lowe Estate on East Fulton Street where it has remained until this day. >More