Work with Us
Diversity Assistant Program
Diversity assistants plan programs and events for students to engage the AQ community in issues of diversity, inclusion, and equity.
For questions about this role, contact Esperanza Garcia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diversity Assistant (DA) Position Description
- Strive to develop positive, personal relationships with a diverse range of students on campus.
- Promote an inclusive and welcoming community.
- Plan, advertise, and co-sponsor diversity programs and activities across campus.
- Respect, celebrate and actively engage diversity issues and cross-cultural exploration (including partnering with one Multicultural Registered Student Organization to attend group meetings once a month, bolster membership, programming, and connection to CDI&E.)
- Present diversity workshops for on-campus residence at the request of Resident Assistants
- Communicate regularly with Director and Student Engagement Coordinator regarding campus climate issues.
- Provide support and referrals to students regarding diversity and inclusion concerns.
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive information relating to students and staff.
- Attend monthly 1 on 1 meetings with Student Engagement Coordinator.
- Assist with aspects of new student orientation in August.
- Attend RA staff meetings once a month.
- Plan a program with your assigned residential area once per quad (this will be done in partnership with your DA partner and an RA.)
- Work 2-4 office hours per week in CDI&E.
- Other duties as assigned.
*All DAs must participate in CDI&E training and participate in pieces of New Student Orientation, which will take place in August 2 weeks before the Fall term begins.
- Strong commitment to helping diverse students, building community, and acting as a role model for engaging social justice issues.
- A demonstrated value for cross-cultural exploration.
- Evidence of good communication skills, organizational and time-management skills, interpersonal skills, reliability, dependability, and leadership potential.
- Sophomore status (28 semester hours) by the beginning of the academic year for which application is being submitted.
- Must be in good academic standing (2.0 semester and cumulative GPA required; 2.5 semester and cumulative GPA preferred).
- Must be in good conduct standing.
- Applicants who are available for employment for the entire academic year (Fall 2019/Spring 2020) will be given preference.
Terms of Employment
- A total stipend of $1,500.00 will be paid bi-weekly for the academic year
- DAs are unable to serve as Resident Assistants and/or Orientation Leaders while under contract as a Diversity Assistant
- DAs must maintain good academic and conduct standing throughout the term of their employment and agree to a conduct and GPA check from the Dean of Students Office
- DAs will participate in semester evaluation process with Student Engagement Coordinator
- DAs will refrain from inappropriate communication (written, verbal, or social media) regarding campus life, groups, and constituents as determined by CDI&E staff members
- Aquinas College is committed to providing equal opportunity and access for participation in all programs, services and activities. Requests for accommodations by persons with disabilities may be made by contacting the Accessibility Services Office online at www.aquinas.edu/accessibility-services, or by calling 616-632-2177. Once you have fully registered and requested accommodations, you will receive an official accommodation letter. Please present this letter to the CDI&E Student Engagement Coordinator so the college can adequately plan for your accommodations and best meet your needs.