Study Abroad: Spain
Aquinas College is proud to partner with the Cursos Internacionales program at the Universidad de Salamanca on the Spanish semester program in Salamanca. Explore the heart of Old Castilla and experience the rich history and heritage of Spain through this program. This semester immerses students in Spanish language and culture not only through classroom instruction, but also through excursions and living with a Spanish host family.
- GPA of 2.5+
- 2 completed semesters at Aquinas College
- Completed SPA 301 with a grade of C or better, or its test equivalency
- Not on academic probation or have recent, serious, or repetitive behavioral citations from the Dean of Students
Students participate during the fall semester and earn 15 credits that count towards Spanish major/minor requirements. Prior to arrival, students will take a language placement test to determine course level. Upon arrival, course placement and selection will be finalized. Please note, depending on the semester not all elective classes may be offered and/or some may have conflicting schedule times.
- Spanish Language (Lengua Espanola) (6 credits, SPA 299 Spanish Elective)
Elective Courses (select 3):
- Conversation and Composition* (Conversacion y Redaccion) (3 credits, SPA 302 Spanish Conversation)
- Spanish Culture* (Cultura Espanola) (3 credits, SPA 320 Cultures of the Spanish Speaking World/Global Perspectives Gen Ed)
- Spanish History (Historia de Espana) (3 credits, SPA 299 Spanish Elective)
- Spanish and Spanish American Literature (Literatura Espanola e Hispano Americano) (3 credits, SPA 299 Spanish Elective)
- Spanish Art (Arte Espanola) (3 credits, SPA 299 Spanish Elective)
- Spanish and Spanish American Cinema (Cine Espanola e Hispano Americano) (3 credits, SPA 299 Spanish Elective)
- Business Spanish (Espanol de los Negocios) (3 credits, SPA 299 Spanish Elective)
- Written Skills Practice for Superior or Advanced level (Destrezas Escritas Superior/Avanzado) (3 credits, SPA 299 Spanish Elective)
* recommended electives
The program fee is in addition to Aquinas tuition. Students will not be charged Aquinas housing fees and do not need an Aquinas meal plan if they participate in this program.
Approximate cost Fall 2024: $7,500
Program fee includes:
- Roundtrip airfare
- Housing (with a host family)
- Laundry service
- 3 meals per day (provided by host family)
- Group excursions/cultural activities
- Course credits/official transcript
- Health/travel insurance
Additional excursions, planned by Cursos Internacionales, are available to participate in at an additional cost. Location, price and duration of these additional excursions vary (about 60€ for a day trip, around 250€ for multi-day trip).
Please visit the Money Matters page and review the budget worksheet for information on scholarships and other expense considerations.
The Office of International Programs will assist in the registration and enrollment process for this program once they have received the signed contract and deposit to confirm participation.
A study visa is required for stays exceeding 90 days. As this is a 10 week program, a study visa shouldn’t be needed for US citizens. Keep in mind that independent travel before or after the program may make obtaining a visa necessary (please communicate to the Office of International Programs if this may apply to you). Cursos Internacionales will provide some of the documentation needed to apply for a visa (if required).
Once you have committed to this program, the Office of International Programs will reach out to the Financial Aid Office to confirm your participation and they will determine your eligibility for the Dr. Harry and Mrs. Sheila Knopke Scholarship for International Study and any other internal scholarships.
Additional opportunities are listed under the “External Scholarships” section of the Money Matters page.
Reach out to the Office of International Programs or review the Cursos Internacionales website for additional program information.