Career and Professional Development
Aquinas College Career Services
The Aquinas College Career Services, housed with the Advantage Center in Flannery Hall assists alumni in many aspects and stages of career planning. Call (616) 632-2126 to schedule an appointment and we can work with you on career changes, job search strategies, resume development, and much more.
Hire a Saint
There are many young professional groups in West Michigan and beyond. Joining one of these groups will be beneficial in a job search and to help you transition from student to full-time professional.
Just about any event can be a networking event, if you are prepared. Here are some
- Introduce yourself to strangers; use these icebreakers: "Hi, I'm _____________. Tell me about what you do". If at an Aquinas event: "Did you graduate from Aquinas College? When was the last time you were on campus? Do you keep in touch with any professors?" Generally, people like to talk about themselves and their families.
- Have an "elevator speech" at the ready: a 30-second pitch of the kind of job or career you are seeking, what unique skills you possess and/or your passion projects.
- If you would like to carry on a longer conversation, ask if the other person would be interested in an "informational interview." Meet for coffee or in their place of work. >Tips for an informational interview (pdf)
- Be helpful! Through your conversation, you may be able to offer a tip or suggestion on a a book, restaurant, place to visit, etc..
- If you are looking for a new job, create business cards for yourself with updated contact info. Only give these out if the situation is appropriate.
- Follow Up! Don't just collect business cards. The next morning, send a professional email (or better yet, a handwritten note) and be sure you have a complete email signature.
- Always carry yourself with class and style.
- Google networking tips or networking etiquette.
USAJOBS: Pathways for students and recent grads to federal careers
Idealist.org: Great job search tool for unique careers
ReThink West Michigan: An event for people returning home during the Thanksgiving Holiday. West Michigan employers will be on hand.
Career Tools: A specialized tool for identifying resources relevant to your personal needs.