AQNet is Aquinas College’s network which allows users to connect their personal computer to the Internet through our high-speed Internet connection throughout campus. In order to connect to AQNet, users will need to have a network-capable laptop or desktop computer and an Aquinas network account.
Do you need help getting your computer on AQNet?
You should know:
- The most common reason for not getting on AQNet is out-of-date anti-virus software.
- If you are having trouble connecting your laptop or mobile device to AQNet, you are encouraged to bring it to the ITS Help Desk in AB350 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Friday ) or email email@example.com with a detailed description of your problem and your contact information. One of our staff members would be happy to help you!
- >Download (pdf) the AQ Wireless Network Connection Guide for information on computer registration and requirements.
Policies and Information
Choose a section below for more information about the AQNet service:
Good Security Practices for Windows
By following some simple steps, you can go a long way toward securing your computer.
Listed below are a few of the more important action items you should take regarding
securing your computer.
Install Virus Protection
- Up-to-date antivirus software is required for AQNet use.
- Aquinas does not require a specific antivirus package at this time. Often, a student's home internet service provider will offer professional-grade antivirus suites to their subscribers at no additional cost. These licenses can often be used for college-bound students as well (as long as the Internet subscription at home remains valid.) Avira, Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials, or Windows Defender are all available at no cost through publishers' website.
- It is also recommended that you turn on the built-in firewall that is included in your operating system for added protection against malicious software.
Run Windows Update
- For unrestricted access to AQNet, users will have to ensure that Automatic Updates are enabled on their devices.
- Individual security updates are not checked for, though it is best practice to download them when marked as Critical or Important. It is also recommended that Mac users stay up-to-date with important operating system updates.
- Running Windows Update is perhaps the most important step you can take in keeping your computer safe. An update can be performed at any time by visiting http://update.microsoft.com or the computer's Control Panel. See your Windows documentation for more information.