AQNet Frequently Asked Questions
Where is wireless access found on campus?
Wireless access can be found throughout campus buildings. All areas support 802.11 a, ac, b, g, and n protocols.
What wireless network do I use?
To gain network access, you will need to select one of the wireless SSIDs:
- AQNet: Register your computers, phones, and tablets
- AQMedia: Register smart TVs, and game consoles
- AQGuest: Guest Access
For more information, please download the AQ Wireless Network Connection Guide or follow the steps below.
How do I register my computer, phone, or tablet on AQNet?
For computers with wireless network cards, verify that you have:
- a supported operating system and up-to-date antivirus definitions
- a device with integrated wireless or a wireless adapter and that your adapter is enabled
- Connect to AQNet wireless network
- Enter your Aquinas username and password
- Next, you will need to download a policy key. A browser window will pop up to download the key, or you can navigate to woodtv.com to bring up the policy key installer.
For smartphones and tablets*:
- Connect to AQNet wireless network
- Trust the certificate
*Steps outlined above are for Apple iPhones. Please note: Steps will vary for tablets, and all other phone models, including Android. If you need additional help, please contact the ITS Help Desk.
What do I need to do to get my smart TV, game console, or legacy device connected to AQMedia?
Example: A device that doesn’t support entering your username and password
- Connect to AQMedia from the wireless settings on your Smart TV or game console.
- Enter password: Nelson24 (Case Sensitive)
How do I connect as a Guest?
This network is time, feature, and performance limited and should not be used by students, staff, and faculty due to these limitations. For guest access, AQGuest will support general web surfing, and email access.
- Connect to the AQGuest wireless network. If a “Set Network Location” window appears after selecting AQGuest, choose “Public Network.”
- Open an Internet browser and you will be redirected to the AQGuest Registration page. If this page does not load automatically, please navigate to a webpage that is not associated with Aquinas College (e.g. www.woodtv.com), and the registration page should appear.
- Click “Accept.” You will then be connected to the AQGuest network.
What kind of wireless adapter do I need?
To access the wireless network, you must have a 802.11 wireless adapter. For optimal performance, ITS strongly recommends either a 802.11n 5GHz/Dual-Band or 802.11ac 5GHz/Dual-Band wireless adapter. The terms 5GHz or "dual-band" may be used interchangeably when shopping for a wireless adapter. External USB wireless adapters can be purchased to allow desktop computers to connect to a wireless network.
What does the Safe Connect Policy Key do?
The registration system, powered by Safe Connect, utilizes a small application known as the Safe Connect Policy Key, which resides on your computer with the sole purpose of ensuring that your computer is compliant with network security policies.
What if my computer does not meet AQNet access requirements?
If your computer fails to meet the security requirements for AQNet, the Safe Connect Policy Key will notify you that the computer has been or will be quarantined. You will be quarantined immediately if you don’t have antivirus software installed and/or isn’t turned on. If your antivirus definitions are out-of-date, you will receive two, twenty-four hour grace periods before you are quarantined. A quarantined computer may still access the internet, but will only be allowed to connect to websites where security software can be downloaded. To remove a quarantined status, install antivirus software, turn on your antivirus software, and/or update your antivirus software definitions.
What if I don't have a computer?
If you don't have a computer, you can still use the computer labs in the Academic Building, Room 353, and in the Library. There are also small labs located in St. Joseph and Regina residence halls.
If you are interested in purchasing a new computer or additional computer accessories, be sure to take advantage of student discounts that are offered by many retailers and manufacturers. Student or academic discounts can lower the cost of computer systems, software, and accessories for our students, faculty, and staff. Some of them are listed below:
- Dell University: Please visit www.dell.com/AquinasCollege
- Lenovo Student Discount Program: Lenovo assists students and faculty to find discount laptops, tablets, and desktop computers to fit their educational needs.
- Apple Education Store: Create an Apple ID account using your "aquinas.edu" student email address. Select Aquinas College from the list of schools.
- Microsoft Student Deals: Great software discounts and free promotions/programming.
This is by no means a comprehensive list. Many companies offer student discounts.
Will I be able to print from AQNet?
Yes. A PaperCut print kiosk will allow you to print from a campus lab computer or wirelessly from your computer or tablet. Locations include AB 353 Student Computer lab, AH 228 Group Study room, Grace-Hauenstein Library, Regina Hall, and St. Joseph Hall. At each print kiosk, students will be able to obtain printouts. At the three main student computer labs, students will also be able to make copies, scan to email, and scan to USB flash drive. Please note: The self-service print kiosk will require you to have money on your Aquinas College ID card in order to retrieve your printouts. To use PaperCut or for more information, please visit https://papercut.aquinas.edu.
- To obtain an ID card: Go to Campus Safety
- To fund an ID card: Go to Food Service in Wege 202 (Cafeteria Level) or Student Accounts in Hruby Hall
I have a wireless printer. Can I connect it to the campus network?
No. ITS recommends that the printer is connected to the owner’s computer via a USB cable or Bluetooth. A wireless printer, once connected to a campus-wide network, would be publicly available to all users connected to the network - not just the owner of the device. Additionally, hardware configurations on these devices are often incompatible with the College's network access controls.
I have a wireless router. Can I connect it to the campus network?
No. Personal routers degrade wireless coverage for other students. ITS reserves the right to deactivate a user's account if a personal router is detected. Network access may be terminated.
How do I keep my computer secure?
To protect your computer, the ITS Department recommends keeping your dorm room door locked and not leaving your equipment unattended in public areas.
Need additional help?
To receive additional help on how to register your device or to troubleshoot your machine in order to get on AQNet, please visit the ITS Help Desk in AB 350 (Monday through Thursday - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) or email email@example.com with a detailed description of your problem, your MAC address, and your contact information. As we are not allowed to repair personal equipment, please contact your manufacturer for warranty information.